Wednesday, November 11, 2015

The Devil Within

People are so drifted with fear of hypocrisy. I embrace hypocrisy for crying out loud, if you define hypocrisy as ‘false profession of desirable publicly approved qualities’. Had I obeyed the devil within, I would have been so vulgar, pervert and harsh at my workplace.

My creed was shaken to its core a month after I signed my tenure agreement. Forgive me; I did not spank any young lady’s bottom. I had a quarrel with my former lab superior over a dispute about whether I should be her shadows, trailing her every step in the organization as a lad manipulated to do all the jobs while she can take care of her personal business or commit treason by choosing someone else with better skills and profound knowledge as my rightful superior. She had unpleasant views of a man I was about to work with. Dirty workplace politics. Then we had a fight through email. It was a nitpicking and rebuttal game in which I wished not to prolong as before my very eyes was a woman who possessed a very weak reasoning (quality of a bad scientist), so weak that I thought I might have gotten better comebacks if I had an argument with a dud coconut. My ambition, career path, and future were matters which she selfishly chose to overlook. She has finally known my true colours – sarcastic, outspoken, a formidable wordsmith forging letters for destruction. That was the last time I spoke to her, and then silently clad myself again under the veil of hypocrisy.

Men really are a minority at my department. I find it difficult to find an apprentice among them who are willing to inherit a responsibility which I am slowly developing distaste for. It would be the same person carrying out duty as an imam of any congregation, leader of khatam Quran ceremony, sometimes source of general Islamic jurisprudence. It is pretty straight forward to be one – you must be fluent pronouncing Arab words, possess excellent clarity in speech, confidence that moves a mountain. I have all those qualities perfectly covering my fallible spiritual virtue. I understand very clearly that they cared not the meaning of the prayers. So do I. They would amin in unison whenever the prayers reach a comma. Food matters the most. Roasted lamb & cheese cakes. May they know the man reciting prayers out loud at my workplace’s every social event also has the devil within.

In jest, a few of elderly ladies at my workplace proposed me to be their son-in-law. You know, it is heartwarming looking at a lad donning perfectly matched turquoise baju melayu paired with navy sampin wrapped around his loin, sitting cross-legged politely, body rocking to the sine wave rhythm of mass zikir. Pretentiously, giggled a little in embarrassment, I said I am nowhere near a fine gentleman for their dear daughters. I learnt how to say that from watching movies. If they hear my inner voice or see images in my mind, they must have warned their daughters to stay away from this creep.

After dissing my former lab superior until she hurt so bad that she took few days leave to lick her wound, I lead my life as a quiet man at my workplace – too quiet that every day I wished I come and go unnoticed like a cat out of its nightly prowls. I was told by my colleague that she badmouthed me in front of my boss. My subconscious saw disappointment in his eyes, a hint of regret for letting me in permanent position. Regaining his trust took me three years. Bootlicking I must not.

Hypocrisy saves me from more troubles over here. I wonder whether I define hypocrisy well herein. There is indeed a gap between feeling and action. Hard to accept it is already written somewhere in the divine realm that I must walk through this path. Perhaps it is just a way of cleansing bad vibes hovering my skin every now and then. Perhaps one day you will see me as a soft-spoken man wearing enormous serban, large white beard, white robe, talking about Sufi stuff like Hakikat Insan and shit.

6 comments:

  1. This is so deep, I drowned in the sea of reasoning and laughter.
    *** 4 star. Riveting *** - NY Times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Brutally honest. Retching." - Washington Post

      Delete
  2. Tough life young man, but we are all actors in one way or another. Good to see that you are still writing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The only vice that cannot be forgiven is hypocrisy. The repentance of a hypocrite is itself hypocrisy." - William Hazlitt

      Delete
  3. I wonder.

    A conversation with you, what would it be like? Your prose flows with undeniable magnetic force - remember those magnet dust experiments?

    Does it matter if we are going north, or south?

    ReplyDelete